What Really Happened- 7 March 1970- Division One Results

Football Round Up – The Observer 8 March 1970 p.24

Though the weather again wrecked the football programme and the League Cup Final overshadowed what was left of it, there were significant stirrings at both ends of the First Division.

The first flicker came from Everton, who threw off their uncertain form of recent weeks and won at Burnley – their first away success since mid-December.

So Everton, with a game in hand, are now only a point behind Leeds.

The day’s league summit meeting between Liverpool, Leeds and the Anfield Kop brought a noisy and thrilling, if goaless game.

Southampton  1  Sunderland  1 – Gerard Dent  – The Observer 8 March 1970 p.24

This relegation battle decided nothing. Sunderland gained their first away point for 19 weeks, and so cling on to the relics of hope, whilst Southampton, who have given their supporters heart failure all season, threw a chance of fulfilling theirs.

It was typical of the game that there were three penalties all within the space of 16 minutes and the odd one was crudely missed by Davies.

For Sunderland, only Todd showed either the will or the quality that could justify the continuance of First Division football at Roker Park.

Chelsea  1 Nottingham Forest  1 – Tony Pawson – The Observer 8 March 1970 p.24

Against all expectations, a Forest side without three key players held their own against Chelsea, a team that was off form and off target.

It could hardly have been called a rude awakening when McGaffery snatched the equaliser 10 minuters from time, for Chelsea had continued to play like sleep walkers throughout the second half.

From the start their confidence made them a little too casual on this awkward, slippery surface.

Liverpool  0  Leeds  0 – Michael Wale – The Observer 8 March 1970 p.24

A goaless draw is a meagre ultimate description of a game in which sheer skill overcame appalling conditions and the result was in doubt until the final second.

In fact Leeds forced the ball past Clemence in the last second but referee Mr Leo Callaghan stuck to a strict 45 minutes and ruled he had ended the game before the ball had entered the net.

Perhaps this was only fiar as there had been a strong penalty appeal by Liverpool 12 minutes earlier, when the ball went perilously close to Cooper’s hand.

Leeds had run out to an ovation from the Kop in tribute to their midweek European victory and both teams rewarded this most knowledgeable and appreciative of football crowds with tireless effort.

Anfield is truly a theatre of football. The atmosphere demands, and is rewarded with soccer of the highest quality and  this match was no exception.


Burnley  1 Everton  2 – Alan Dunn – The Guardian  Monday 9 March 1970 p.22

The white and black starkness of Turf Moor on Saturday – with the snowbound pitch offering only a gingery foothold – was hardly the sort of arena one would have chosen for such a critical game in the First Division race. Burnley have so many good youngsters capable of making Everton graft for their  points without adding the element of chance. Yet Everton mastered both the conditions and Burnley’s youth, 2-1, to inch up to one point behind Leeds United, with a game in hand and eight to play.

Everton’s approach – swinging the  ball about freely and making splendid use of a narrow strip of grass down one wing – proved to be fractionally more effective than Burnley’s short, vigorous passing.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: